Dallas: 972-517-9130 | Chicago: 312-929-1262 | Nationwide: 866-329-7157
Resort: Secrets Playa Mujeres
1. What made you decide on having a destination wedding?
We were drawn to a destination wedding because we wanted a smaller wedding that was easier to plan. We grew up in different states, and we wanted our friends and family to have a mini vacation. Having a destination wedding allowed us to spend more time with them before, during, and after the wedding.
2. What made you decide on the destination/resort/venue? While talking with Hannah, we narrowed down our country to Mexico fairly quickly because there were several flights in and out of Cancun each day. We liked that Secrets Playa Mujeres was close enough to the airport but in a quieter area. We wanted an adults-only wedding, so it was a good choice for us.
3. What was the biggest difficulty in planning your destination wedding?There wasn't much difficulty in planning! We spent an afternoon going through the Excel document and choosing among the various options the resort sent us. My husband started a new job and we moved across the U.S. right before the wedding - that was the only difficult part.
4. What was the highlight of the experience and what was the biggest surprise?
Being with friends and family for a few days was the best, especially knowing we were moving so far from them. We decided to kick off the weekend with a beach bonfire on Friday night, and we passed out our welcome bags during it - this was very easy and it allowed us to greet each of our guests!
Our friends decided to rent a catamaran the day after the ceremony, and that turned out to be such fun! My favorite part/biggest surprise was the resort's minister. Her words were perfect, and our family and friends commented on how it was one of the best ceremonies they had been to. We recently watched our ceremony video and cried all over again!
5. How well was the resort and your Onsite Wedding Coordinator to work with?Claudia Solis, our wedding coordinator, was so easy to work with! She always responded to our emails in a timely manner. Meeting with her in-person was even better. She is a professional and has a calm presence - so helpful when talking to a worried bride.
Secrets Playa Mujeres was wonderful! It was small enough to where we were always running into people we knew, but big enough to where we had space. Dreams, the family-friendly resort, is right next door, and it was great to eat at the Brazilian steakhouse there our last night.
6. If your best friend were planning a destination wedding what would your advice be to her? If you're looking for a fun, meaningful wedding without a lot of stress throughout the planning process, this is absolutely for you!
7. Was there anything that you would change looking back?Wedding-wise, we wouldn't change anything at all. In terms of communication, we would have emailed our guests about a week before the wedding and asked them to download an app, such as WhatsApp or GroupMe. We would have added everyone to the group so everyone could stay in touch.